Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Lane helps Bath claim big win

Rich Lane scored a hat-trick of tries as Bath thrashed Rugby Mogliano 55-8 in a bonus point victory that ensures they remain three points clear of Dragons at the top of Pool 2 in the Amlin Challenge Cup.

Aside from Lane's efforts, Bath notched six other tries through Dominic Day (two), Carl Fearns, Kyle Eastmond, replacement Tom Biggs and a penalty try, with Tom Heathcote notching the rest of the points with five conversions

The visitors got off to a flying start in Italy when, after five minutes, Day scored the opening try and Heathcote knocked over the conversion.

After that Mogliano managed to keep Bath at bay until midway through the first half but Fearns added another try, with Heathcote again converting.

The hosts managed to put some points on the board with with a penalty but then two tries in the space of six minutes from Lane, one converted by Heathcote, gave Bath a healthy 26-3 lead at the break.

Mogliano drew first blood after the break when Andrea Ceccato went over for a try but Nicolo Fadalti missed the conversion and Bath soon got another score themselves through Eastmond to move further in front.

A penalty try converted by Heathcote made it 38-8 with 14 minutes to play before Biggs grabbed another and Lane got his hat-trick.

Heathcote converted Lane's effort to bring up the 50 for his side before Day completed a fine day for Bath with a try in the final minute, although Heathcote was unable to add the extras on that occasion.

Charlie Hayter scored twice as Wasps gave another demonstration of their title credentials, winning 47-7 away to Grenoble.

Dai Young's side won their third successive tie to regain top spot in Pool Four, ahead of Bayonne, after taking maximum points at Stade Lesdiguieres.

There was little sign of the seven-try mauling to come when Joe Simpson missed with both his first two attempts at goal in the opening 10 minutes.

But Simpson's break and long pass handed Will Helu the opener after 13 minutes to fill Wasps with confidence.

Hayter's break saw Guy Thompson score his first try of the night to earn Wasps a 14-0 half-time lead

Centre Hayter crossed twice in the space of 13 minutes in the second half to firstly secure a bonus point and then kill off any lingering hopes of a Grenoble comeback. Thompson added his second try.

It was not until Hayter's long-range interception try that Wasps could finally relax after Grenoble mounted a fierce comeback sparked by Cedric Beal's try, converted by Olly Barkley.

Jack Winter-Moates stepped off the bench to finish a break by Tom Lindsay in style six minutes from time before Josh Bassett completed the rout.


From Belfast Telegraph