Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Late Boks burst sinks Australia

A tremendous late scoring burst gave South Africa victory over Australia and took them second in the rugby championship.

Marcell Coetzee's try gave South Africa a 13th-minute lead and, although Australia led 10-5 at half-time - Bernard Foley with a penalty and Adam Ashley-Cooper quickly adding a converted try - they were held scoreless in the second half.

The home side finally edged ahead again with Pat Lambie's drop goal 10 minutes from time and his try was sandwiched by two from Jean de Villiers as South Africa recorded not just a 28-10 victory, but a bonus point too.

The opening try came when the Boks pack powered over off a line-out, flanker Coetzee in possession and claiming the score.

Handre Pollard dragged his conversion attempt wide and Foley cut the deficit to 5-3 with his 24th-minute penalty after Adriaan Strauss took down Ashley-Cooper illegally.

Tevita Kuridrani then burst through and sent Ashley-Cooper in for a superb try which, Foley adding the conversion, gave the Wallabies the half-time advantage.

Pollard slotted a penalty after an infringement at a ruck, but, with defence on top, it remained 10-8 until the 70th minute.

That was when replacement half-back Lambie landed the drop goal that took South Africa 11-10 up - and they took full advantage in a dramatic end to the match.

A superb break involving Jan Serfontein and Cornal Hendricks sparked the move that led to De Villiers' first score. The wing jinked across one tackle and hurdled another and, although the ball was scrappily recycled, De Villiers was able to crash over in the corner.

Lambie then made the game safe, dummying through for the Springboks' third try a minute from time - and there was still time for De Villiers to clinch a bonus point after the hooter.

Cobus Reinach made the break, taking advantage of more shambolic tackling from the visitors, and the ball was worked across the field - including an outlandish through-the-legs scoop by Schalk Burger - for Victor Matfield to send De Villiers inside the left corner post.


From Belfast Telegraph