Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Le Roux inspires Cheetahs triumph

The Cheetahs moved off the foot of the Super Rugby table following a 35-22 bonus-point win that condemned the Stormers to last place.

South Africa international Willie Le Roux played a starring role as the Bloemfontein club strung together 23 unanswered points to set up their first win for two months.

Hennie Daniller, Rayno Benjamin and Le Roux all crossed for first-half tries during the Cheetahs' decisive burst. Cornall Hendricks and Trevor Nyakane confirmed the result with scores in the final 10 minutes.

The Stormers had shot into a 10-0 lead on the back of a second-minute Nizaam Carr try, but from there the Cheetahs went on their 23-point run.

Rookie Devon Williams ended the Cheetahs' streak on the hour, but the Stormers' next try did not come until the final stages, when skipper Jean de Villiers touched down with the game up.

Peter Grant converted Carr's early try before slotting a penalty as the Stormers shot out of the blocks.

The advantage was, however, quickly relinquished as the Cheetahs went over for two unconverted tries in the space of three minutes.

Le Roux was at the heart of both as he first picked out Daniller with a cross-field kick to score, before starting a move that saw Benjamin level the match on 15 minutes after running on to a Heinrich Brussow pass.

Elgar Watts missed both conversions, but put the Cheetahs ahead 13-10 with a penalty after 27 minutes.

It was a lead they would not give up and Le Roux extended their advantage before the break, sneaking through a gap after patient build-up play, before Watts converted.

Watts and Grant both missed penalty chances early in the second half, but the Cheetahs man found his radar to extend the unanswered sequence to 23 points.

Finally the away side responded, as Williams marked his first Super Rugby start with a try, but Hendricks set off on a memorable solo run that Watts converted to ensure a home bonus point.

Nyakane then made sure of the win when he crashed over after 75 minutes.

There was just enough time for De Villiers to score at the other end, but a three-try match haul meant the Stormers did not even have the consolation of a bonus point as they fell into last place in the overall standings.


From Belfast Telegraph