Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Monson is still upbeat after Dee's heavy loss

Donaghadee III defeated Armoy 18-10 in the Butler Shield final nearly a fortnight ago but found Carrickfergus IV much more difficult to handle when they lost their Minor East 2 game 45-3 on Saturday.

It had been hoped that recently gained confidence would have led to revenge for January's 29-3 loss at Carrick but it was not to be.

This was Carrick playing by far their best rugby of the season and it was one of those days when everything they tried came off. Dee knew it was going to be tough against their robust opponents and poor handling prevented them from gaining any real penetration.

Their defence, which had coped so well last Saturday, was not as sharp and poor tackling allowed their opponents to run in five tries in the first period.

"The second half was more promising," stated Dee captain Andy Monson. "There were piercing runs from Marty Coulter, Robin McMurray, Davy Kirkpatrick and Andy Molyneaux but the visiting defence stood strong."

Carrick managed another couple of tries, Monson dropped a home goal and Dee finished third in the Division which was a big improvement on previous years as they managed to fulfil all their fixtures.

"During the season there was real enthusiasm and the hard work which started last summer paid dividends," Monson added.

"Everybody played their part from 18-year-old Zac Hughes having his first outing in senior rugby to Vic Vinethorpe, who donned the red and green jersey at the age of 60."

Carrick's Ian Penney, who was named as their Player of the Year on Friday evening, is not only the team captain but also their organiser.

He had a big part to play in this victory as had No 8 James Porter, Gareth Clarke and back row forward John Marshall, each scoring twice.

Full-back David McKinstry joined the line for the other try, five of which were goaled.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph