Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Munster battle to victory

Glasgow Warriors put up a brave fight before being overwhelmed 43-29 by Magners League leaders Munster in the second half at Firhill on Friday night.

Denis Leamy and Johne Murphy scored first-half tries for Munster but it was scores after the interval from Niall Ronan and Murphy again that broke the home resistance. Ronan O'Gara's boot was responsible for 23 points.

DTH van der Merwe and scrum-half Colin Gregor scored tries for Warriors who also had five penalties and two conversions from teenager Duncan Weir on his debut.

Weir had given Glasgow a three-point lead before he hoisted a cross-kick that was knocked down by Bernardo Stortoni to Van der Merwe who touched down. Weir converted from by the touchline.

Four minutes later Leinster registered their first try. Driving from a line-out, prop Tony Buckley got very close for number eight and captain Leamy to finish off and O'Gara to kick the simple conversion.

An O'Gara penalty sandwiched by two more from Weir had the score at 16-10 when the Munster pack at last got into gear and as they worked their way into the home 22, the ball was released left and winger Murphy skidded over through a half tackle for the try that O'Gara converted to put Munster a point ahead.

But Weir kicked a penalty before Donncha O'Callaghan was sin-binned for persistent offending, allowing the Glasgow pack to put on pressure with Gregor darting over and Weir converting for a 26-17 half-time lead.

Munster found another gear after half-time and within 10 minutes not only were they back ahead but they had the try bonus point.

Firstly Leamy picked up from a close-in scrum and sent in flanker Ronan for a textbook score which O'Gara converted and then the fly-half set up the next try for Murphy with a perfect side-footed kick, and again converted to put Munster 31-26 up.

That was a winning position they were to comfortably maintain with O'Gara nudging over four more penalties against one from Weir.


From Belfast Telegraph