Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Munster power crushes Edinburgh

Munster steamrollered Edinburgh with three tries in the final 10 minutes of this Heineken Cup tie as they returned to winning ways with a 33-0 triumph at Thomond Park.

A late forwards-led flurry saw Peter O'Mahony, Sean Dougall and Damien Varley all touch down as the hosts seized upon an unlikely bonus point.

With the injured Ronan O'Gara watching on from the stands, his deputy Ian Keatley landed two penalties from four attempts to give the hosts a 6-0 interval lead. There was more for the home crowd to get their teeth into in the second half, with Conor Murray's 51st-minute try giving Rob Penney's side some breathing space.

Hammered 45-0 at home by Saracens in the opening round, Edinburgh allowed their heads to drop and Munster took advantage late on as they ended a run of three straight defeats.

Keatley, making his first Heineken Cup start at outside-half, slotted a fourth-minute penalty to settle the early nerves and a second three-pointer from Keatley doubled Munster's lead as the penalty count and an erratic line-out began to hurt Edinburgh.

A couple of handling errors ruined promising Munster moves, early in the second period, but their persistence paid off when man-of-the-match Murray broke through under the posts.

Keatley converted the try which television match official Geoff Warren rubber-stamped, and followed up with a neatly-taken third penalty into the swirling wind.

Having struggled to score when taking the ball out wide, Munster went back to basics for the closing stages and it worked a treat against their tiring opponents.

A muscular line-out drive, a tactic so profitable in the past in Limerick, sent the Scots backwards and number eight O'Mahony wrestled over from a metre out. Keatley converted for a 23-0 scoreline.

Soon after, Dougall grabbed his second try of the tournament when finishing off in the right corner after replacement Paddy Butler had blazed over halfway. Then in injury time, Keatley kicked a penalty to the right corner and a last-gasp line-out drive sent Varley charging in, despite calls for obstruction from the visitors.


From Belfast Telegraph