Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Newport suffer defeat in Russia

Russian side Enisei-STM claimed a second British scalp in eight days, with a bonus-point 38-18 home win over Newport Gwent Dragons in the European Rugby Challenge Cup.

Enisei-STM last Saturday defeated Worcester Warriors 19-12, but this win takes them top of Pool Three at least until the next round in December.

Hooker Stanislav Selskii scored a brace of tries and there were also touchdowns for Iuri Kushnarev, Dmitrii Gerasimov and substitute Valery Mrozov at the Trud Stadium in Tomsk - more than 4,200 miles from Newport.

Newport, who trailed 17-12 at the break, scored two tries through backs Pat Howard and Sam Beard.

Worcester were beaten again, this time 25-24 at home to Brive.

The French team, 10-7 up at half-time, scored tries through Takudzwa Ngwenya, Said Hireche and sub Thomas Acquier - the latter putting them eight points clear with five minutes left.

Andy Short's touchdown earned a losing bonus point following a penalty try and Ben Te'o's score.

Gloucester went level on points with La Rochelle at the top of Pool One thanks to a 37-8 bonus-point demolition of Benetton Treviso at Kingsholm.

The hosts, who led 20-3 at the break, scored four tries through Lewis Ludlow, Jonny May, Matt Scott and sub Callum Braley. Michael Tagicakibau got Treviso's only touchdown.

Edinburgh moved three points clear of Harlequins atop Pool Five with an exciting 36-35 home defeat of their opponents featuring 11 tries at Murrayfield.

The hosts, having been 31-14 up at half-time, needed Tom Brown's late try after Quins came back to lead 35-31.

Allan Dell, Blair Kinghorn, Nasi Manu, Hamish Watson and Damien Hoyland scored Edinburgh's other five-pointers.

Charlie Walker, Kyle Sinckler and Mat Luamanu touched down for the visitors who were also aided by two penalty tries.

In the evening kick-off, teenage Ospreys winger Keelan Giles enjoyed another European night to remember as he scored a hat-trick of tries in a 31-13 win in Lyon.

The 18-year-old notched twice as Ospreys thrashed Newcastle 45-0 in their competition debut last time out and he was back among the tries again on Saturday, going over for converted scores in the 14th, 29th and 45th minutes.

Replacement Sam Parry added a fourth try late on - fly-half Sam Davies again slotting over the extras for a personal haul of 11 points with the boot - as Ospreys made it back-to-back wins in Pool Two.

The Welsh side now boast a five-point lead over Lyon at the top of the group after inflicting a first defeat on the French outfit, who scored second-half tries through Curtis Browning and Franck Romanet.


From Belfast Telegraph