Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

No complaints from Bordeaux after sending off turns tide in loss to Ospreys

Bordeaux coach Raphael Ibanez had no complaints about Jean Baptiste Dubie's sending off as his side lost 19-16 to Ospreys.

Dubie was sent off by referee JP Doyle in the 44th minute after he had pole-axed Dan Bigger with a high and dangerous challenge.

Bordeaux had been leading 13-12 at the time of the incident, but Biggar responded by scoring the game-winning try for the largely unconvincing Ospreys.

"The decision made by the referee was a fair one," Ibanez said. "I have no issue with it but it was a reflex action by our wing and he is totally down about."

Bordeaux had gone ahead after centre Felix Le Bourhis scored an excellent try, converted by Pierre Barnard, who added two penalties. Romain Lonca kicked a second half penalty but crucially missed another, which would have given Bordeaux a deserved draw.

"I was pleased with the mindset of the players as they didn't give up," Ibanez added. "We had to stay focused after the sending-off.

"We rested a lot of players today but it shows we have a strong squad and we learnt a lesson today as we did at Exeter when we lost heavily."

Ospreys coach Chris Gibbes accepted that his side were not at their best as the ground out the win

"We have to be realistic, our standard wasn't good enough. In the first quarter we played at speed and made some line-breaks but after that we fell away."

Next week the return fixture will take place in Bordeaux and Gibbes said that improvement would be needed.

"If we turn up and play like that, it will be a long hard night," he said. "We've got some tidying up to do in readiness for next week.

"This pool is going to go down to the wire, it's going to be tight and we need to pick up something over there."

Ospreys' skipper Alun Wyn-Jones agreed with his coach.

"The French are different animals when they are home than when they are away," he said. "They could make a lot of changes next week as they have a strong squad."


From Belfast Telegraph