Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Northampton's Jim Mallinder thinks ref made right call after win at Gloucester

Jim Mallinder believed referee Matthew Carley made the right call in awarding Northampton a late penalty try for a deliberate knock-on, earning them a soitary point Aviva Premiership win at Gloucester.

Carley sin-binned Gloucester wing David Halaifonua for the offence, which happened in the dying minutes of the game with Gloucester leading 12-6 via four penalites from fly-half Billy Burns.

The penalty try put Northampton 12-11 behind before fly-half Stephen Myler added the straight-forward conversion to two simple penalites that he booted earlier in the match.

Northampton director of rugby Mallinder said he was happy that the penalty try should have been awarded, saying his side were not lucky to get it.

He explained: "There was a clear overlap so I think it was the only decision that the referee could make."

As for the match, he added: "I am very pleased. It was a bit of a dogfight out there and not a pretty game. It was a good competitive game. We were disappointed to go nine points down.

" We have said the matches around the New Year are three tough games and Bristol next week will be on a high as they have just one so that will be tricky. We have got to target that game."

Mallinder said he was glad to see British Lions wing George North back after a head injury a month ago.

He added: "He is good and he is really pleased to be back playing. He has been training well and it is good to see him back out there."

Gloucester director of rugby David Humphreys said his players were suffering after the late setback.

He said: "The dressing room is devastated. To turn around after five days and a really huge game at Twickenham and lose by a point is hard to take.

"We had a huge period of pressure and Ben Morgan says he scored but there were not enough camera angles around (for the TMO) to prove it - but you can see from the reaction of the players around that we had scored it. "

The score was 12-6 at that stage and Humphreys added: "That was probably the turning point of the game.

"You knew that last 10 minutes would be tough. We defended magnificently for parts of that match. When your opportunities come along, you have to take them."


From Belfast Telegraph