| 14.6°C Belfast

Ospreys soar to victory as Keelan Giles impresses again


Keelan Giles scored a try in Ospreys' victory over Glasgow

Keelan Giles scored a try in Ospreys' victory over Glasgow

Keelan Giles scored a try in Ospreys' victory over Glasgow

Ospreys moved up to second in the Guinness PRO12 table and put another dent in Glasgow Warriors' top-four ambitions with a bonus-point 26-15 triumph.

Keelan Giles sent a message to Wales head coach Rob Howley with his 12th try of the season, before Josh Matavesi extended their first-half advantage.

All Black Corey Flynn got a depleted Glasgow side back in the game before half-time before they took the lead thanks to a controversial Peter Murchie score.

But the hosts responded with scores from Tyler Ardron and Kieron Fonotia to earn the bonus point. The victory sees the Ospreys leapfrog Munster, while Glasgow are 12 points adrift of fourth.

Ospreys were aiming to capitalise on Munster's defeat to Scarlets and send a statement of intent to their title rivals and they enjoyed a dream start after 10 minutes when Giles raced over for his 12th try in 11 matches. It was created by opposite wing Dafydd Howells, with the twice-capped speedster scooping up a loose pass and beating his defender before sprinting down the left flank and finding Giles with the scoring pass.

Luke Price landed the conversion from in front of the posts and it got even better for Steve Tandy's men 12 minutes later. They fought their way back down in Glasgow territory before captain Brendon Leonard sent a flat pass to Matavesi, who bulldozed his way over Peter Horne and over the line for the second try, which Price improved.

The second score seemed to spark some life into the visitors, and they were back in it three minutes later. Ospreys handed possession over with a knock-on to put the Warriors on the front foot. Outside-half Brandon Thomson made a half-break, before Flynn barged over from close range with assistance from Scott Cummings.

Thomson added the extras to cut the gap to 14-7 at half-time before adding three more points after the break.

The Warriors then hit the front in controversial fashion, winning possession after Rory Hughes seemed to have left a high shot on Giles, and Murchie capitalised to sidestep two defenders and score.

But the Ospreys responded emphatically and regained the lead as Ardron powered past Nick Grigg to touch down after a strong driving maul.

Price then sprinted down the right wing and sent a perfectly-weighted kick through for replacement Fonotia to race onto and score.