Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Ospreys too good for Edinburgh

Ospreys soared to the top of the Guinness Pro12 table with a nine-try hammering of Edinburgh at the Liberty Stadium to preserve their 100 per cent start to the season.

The platform for the record 62-13 win over the Scottish outfit and bonus-point victory was set by man of the match, Wales scrum-half Rhys Webb, who went over for the opening two scores.

There were also 16 points for Dan Biggar - including one try. The other try scorers were Dan Baker, Jeff Hassler, Jonathan Spratt, Hanno Dirksen, Tom Grabham and Tyler Aldron. Sam Davies converted the final three tries.

Edinburgh, who were thoroughly outclassed, managed just the one try from Hamish Watson with Tom Heathcote kicking two penalties and a conversion.

Wales and Lions flanker Justin Tipuric made his first appearance of the season after missing Wales' summer tour of South Africa due to shoulder surgery, although he did get a yellow card in the second half.

Edinburgh had made six changes from the team that lost to Connacht including the inclusion of Tim Visser, James Hilterbrand and WP Nel.

Ospreys, who started the day fifth in the table after wins against Treviso and the Dragons, cruised into a 14-3 lead in the 14th minute with Webb scoring two very different tries.

The first one arrived after only 70 seconds, the result of a dash from a ruck on halfway. The lively Webb evaded three tackles before going in under the posts for Biggar to convert.

After Heathcote reduced the lead with a penalty Webb was over again this time from only a yard.

And only seven minutes before the break Baker was on the end of a 15-metre drive from a line-out to claim the Ospreys' third try. Biggar added the extras.

But Edinburgh responded four minutes later with a try from openside flanker Watson, converted by Heathcote. Biggar, however, had the last say with a penalty on the stroke of half-time as the home side led 24-10 at the break.

Apart from a second Heathcote penalty it was one-way traffic after the break as the Ospreys ran in six tries - three in the space of seven minutes at the end.

Biggar confirmed the bonus point on 46 minutes before Hassler ran in an 80-metre effort. Spratt and Dirksen crossed on 62 and 70 minutes respectively.

And it became a rout when Grabham intercepted to go under the posts to take the Ospreys score beyond 50.

Three minutes before the end Aldron also went in under the posts to complete Edinburgh's humiliation.


From Belfast Telegraph