Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Phillips handed indefinite WRU ban

Scrum-half Mike Phillips has been suspended indefinitely from Wales squad duties, the WRU announced on Friday.

The 28-year-old has been banned "with immediate effect" following allegations of an incident involving the player in Cardiff city centre.

A statement from the WRU read: "The Wales management team will take time to consider circumstances surrounding recent allegations about the player's behaviour in public whilst on an agreed holiday period from pre-Rugby World Cup training. Phillips has been told not to report to WRU headquarters at the National Centre of Excellence this Monday - the pre-ordained start date of his personal training regime - and will remain outside of the squad until further notice."

Phillips, who sealed a move to French Top 14 club Bayonne from Ospreys earlier this week on a two-year deal, is now expected to face questions over the allegations.

"The WRU operates to its own strict code of conduct covering behaviour both on and off the field, in circumstances of serious indiscipline the national squad management have the capacity to impose sanctions on players for matters arising from occasions when they are not on official squad duty," the statement continued.

"Whilst the suspension is in operation further clarification regarding the incident will be sought.

"The suspension has been approved by Wales head coach Warren Gatland and agreed by the senior squad management team. The WRU has not been alerted of any criminal action and the suspension is based on its own behaviour protocols."

WRU chief executive Roger Lewis explained Phillips' suspension was a result of a "breach of standards".

"Discipline and acceptable behaviour are issues which run to the core values of the Welsh Rugby Union and we cannot tolerate any compromise of those standards," he said.

Phillips has been replaced by Lloyd Williams in Wales' pre-World Cup training squad.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph