Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Quins book last-four berth

Harlequins secured their place in the Aviva Premiership semi-finals by scoring six tries in a breathtaking 42-26 win over Worcester at Sixways.

Nick Evans scored all of Quins' first 10 points while Tom Williams and Danny Care went over to give the visitors a 20-16 half-time advantage as Chris Pennell's try and three Andy Goode penalties kept Worcester in touch.

However, Quins pulled away after the break, Care and Evans both helping themselves to their second tries while Mike Brown also crossed. Goode added another penalty in the second period and Alex Grove went over for Worcester's second try. The games was marred by the serious leg injury suffered by Worcester number eight Semisi Taulava.

Against the run of play, Worcester took a 12th-minute lead. The Quins carelessly lost possession in the home 22 allowing the Warriors to counter-attack in style. A long pass from Goode sent Josh Drauniniu away and he raced 40 metres before releasing Pennell to celebrate his 100th appearance for the club with an excellent try.

Goode converted before Evans put the visitors on the score board with a simple penalty. Maurie Fa'asavalu was creating havoc in the Warriors defence with his charging runs, one of which took the Quins deep into the opposition 22. The visitors secured possession for Evans to brush past some weak tackling for the try which he converted.

A penalty from Goode brought the scores level at 10-10 before the Warriors regained the lead. Grove charged away and kicked ahead before nailing Danny Care, who was penalised for not releasing and Goode kicked another goal.

Harlequins continued to play enterprisingly and it was no surprise to see them regain the lead when a clever pass from Care gave Williams the chance to dash in at the corner for the try which Evans was unable to convert. Quins extended their lead when Care nipped over for the try before a third penalty from Goode restricted the lead at the interval.

Worcester stunned Quins with a try within a minute of the restart. A poor kick-off from Evans was capitalised by the Warriors with Pennell evading three defenders on a 50-metre run before presenting Grove with the scoring pass. Goode converted and quickly added another penalty to give the hosts a 26-20 lead.

The visitors responded with their bonus point try and once again Fa'asavalu was the catalyst; the flanker tore away from a ruck on half way to make 40 metres with Care again on hand to collect the try but another miss from Evans ensured Quins were one point behind.

Evans kept his cool to kick his second penalty before Quins suffered a big blow when they lost captain Chris Robshaw, who was helped from the field with a leg injury. Evans then charged down a clearance kick for a try which he converted to give the Quins a nine-point advantage going into the last 10 minutes before Mike Brown ran in their sixth try.


From Belfast Telegraph