Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Rainey's flying start enough to see off Omagh

By Ronnie Ingram

After taking the lead directly from kick-off and boasting a 31-point advantage at the break, Rainey III's failure to get going after the interval mattered little as they held on for a 38-19 victory over Omagh III.

Big flanker Ciaran McIvor jumped highest to snatch Kenny Irvine's drop-out and set up the first try.

He managed to brush aside a couple of tackles and took play inside the Omagh '22', where prop Declan McKenna carried on the move before quick ball allowed McIvor to crash over for Irvine to goal.

Before the opposition had recovered, centre Mark Montgomery broke through for Ciaran McNamee to go under the posts.

Visiting captain Colin Patterson then set up the next.

The second row caught the ball around halfway and cut through before linking with Gavin McGucken for the hooker to feed McIvor, who went in for his second.

Connor O'Kane and Ryan Deehan rucked well in the middle for Montgomery to power over in the corner to give the visitors a 24-0 advantage after 25 minutes.

This was followed by a well-worked back move involving Irvine, centre Paddy Kidd and full-back Mark Donnelly for McGucken to cross close to touch.

Scrum-half Connor Magee then had the vision to shift the ball to the left and Declan McGuckin crossed for the sixth, four of which were goaled.

One minute before the interval, Omagh reduced the arrears when out-half Scott Elliott scored and added the easy conversion.

The second half was a different matter as most of the play was in Rainey territory but their strong defence restricted Omagh to just two tries.

Following pressure, Mark Gibney gathered at a line-out and took the ball forward for Leslie Monteith to dive over.

The home team was now controlling the encounter for the first time and, when Rainey had a player sin-binned, it helped their cause.

They were awarded a number of penalties and, following a five metre line-out, they again drove forward for No 8 Sheldon Monteith to pick up and score for Elliott to convert.

Omagh captain Alan Knox thought their first half play was terrible, commenting: "We made very few tackles but there was more structure to our play in the second half. If we had played the whole game as we did in the final third, we could well have been successful but, there again, Rainey had already won at that stage so maybe they had eased off."

An injury time try by Ballyclare III captain Chris Gawn, converted by Andrew Alexander, gave the Co Antrim team a 25-19 win over Belfast Harlequins III, while the other fixture saw Limavady II overcome Ballymena III 43-35.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph