Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Robshaw happy to get the break

Chris Robshaw was a relieved man after seeing his Harlequins side strike it lucky at Twickenham and walk away with the points.

The Quins captain feared the worse when Andy Goode stepped up to take the final kick of the match - a penalty to win it for Wasps.

But the veteran fly-half's effort crashed against a post and came out leaving Conor O'Shea's men to celebrate a hard fought opening Aviva Premiership victory.

And England skipper Robshaw admitted: "I thought Goodey would get it. He is a cool lad and a very good penalty taker. So we were worried he might do it for them. Thankfully, he missed.

"It was a cliffhanger again but we won. That's the important thing. It's never going to be pretty.

"Wasps are a good side and a dangerous one but we managed to get over the line."

Goode's final kick of a match which failed to live up to the hype and expectations but threw up plenty of drama bounced agonisingly back off an upright to Wasps dismay.

Quins breathed a huge sigh of relief having seen Wasps' England lock Tom Palmer force his way over from close range for a try which moved his side to within a point of their opponents.

Wasps' director of Rugby Dai Young said: "Andy will win us more games than he loses. It is the curse of the kicker. You are either hero or zero.

"We could have given him a better angle but the result is no reflection on Andy. It could have gone either way. We had white line fever on a couple of occasions but held our own in every department."

O'Shea's side already thought they had wrapped up the victory when replacement scrum-half Karl Dickson sold the Wasps defence a dummy and darted over for a try converted by Nick Evans.

It put them in front for the first time having been slow out of the blocks again in this second game of the Twickenham double-header. Last year they trailed 20-0 to their London rivals within 12 minutes.

This time it was just 10-3 at half-time with Evans and Goode kicked penalties after England lock Joe Launchbury had burst out of the blocks with a 55-second try.

Flanker Sam Jones had broke through and off-loaded for Launchbury to stroll across the line untouched.

Quins struggled to fight their way back but they had the final word thanks to Goode's failure to nail his crucial kick.

Quins' director of rugby Conor O'Shea said: "I had mentally prepared myself for the kick to go over. He hit it brilliantly and it hit the inside of the post.

"I feel for Goodey. It wasn't his fault they lost the game. The first six games of the season are a bun fight.

"I am delighted with the result. We will take an away win even though it was at Twickenham."


From Belfast Telegraph