Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Saracens too strong for Scarlets in Anglo-Welsh Cup tie at Parc y Scarlets

Saracens had to see off a second half revival from a young Scarlets side before sealing a bonus victory in their Anglo-Welsh Cup clash at Parc y Scarlets.

Saracens were indebted to tries from centre Nick Tomkins, full-back Matt Gallagher, wing Mike Ellery and replacement fly-half Tom Whiteley, with Max Malins and Whiteley supplying 12 points with the boot.

The home side's tries in the 32-17 defeat came from number eight Morgan Allen and replacement fly-half Billy McBryde.

With 26 Scarlets players missing because of international commitments, rest and injury, Allen got a chance to impress at number eight as he lined up in the back-row alongside Jack Condy and Josh Macleod.

The visitors welcomed back flanker Will Fraser from a hip injury for his first game since the Aviva Premiership final against Exeter last May.

Saracens took a deserved 18-0 lead into half-time after having the lion's share of possession and territory in the opening 40 minutes.

They led in t he second minute with a Malins penalty straight in front of the posts, before t he home side threatened with a break from skipper Emyr Phillips, which sent wing Tom Williams close.

Two strong scrums on the Saracens line gave Scarlets a big chance of the first try - but the Premiership team kept their cool, regained possession and went on to score two tries in the space of six minutes.

Malins missed a penalty in the 16th minute but Sarries were over the line a minute later when Tomkins scored after the away side put the ball through the hands. Malins converted to make it 10-0.

That became 15-0 on 23 minutes when Tim Streather's neat chip saw full-back Gallagher go over in the left corner - but Malin missed the extras.

Just on the stroke of half-time Malins extended Sarries' lead with a penalty following a high tackle.

Scarlets responded well in the second half. After Jack Maynard kicked a 43rd-minute penalty, Allen crossed 10 minutes later after a period of intense pressure.

Saracens suffered a further blow when wing Rotimi Segun was sent to the sin bin for a dangerous challenge in the air on Williams - but they opened a 15-point lead with a try from Ellery down the right after Scarlets had lost a line-out on the opposition 10-metre line. Whiteley converted.

Scarlets refused to lie down and came back with a try through McBryde, which he also converted.

But Saracens went on to seal the bonus point five minutes from the end when Whiteley got their fourth try.

Just before the end Sarries skipper Streather received a yellow card for a professional foul, with referee Jack Makepeace ruling out a try for Williams in the corner in the final action of the match.


From Belfast Telegraph