Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Sarries win not enough

Saracens gave a convincing second-half performance to run out comfortable 40-22 winners over Exeter in the Aviva Premiership at Vicarage Road.

The home side trailed 10-9 at the interval but two tries early in the second half gave the hosts the impetus they needed.

The bonus-point victory was not enough to secure Saracens a home semi-final in the Aviva Premiership play-offs because of Leicester's home win over Bath, and they now face a difficult trip to the Tigers next weekend for a place in the final.

Exeter, who had already secured their place in next season's Heineken Cup, were first on the scoreboard when Gareth Steenson gave them a third-minute lead with a 35-metre penalty.

Owen Farrell was wide with a 45m penalty attempt but minutes later the fly-half was successful with a similar kick to bring the scores level after 12 minutes. Saracens knocked on at a lineout and from the resulting scrum, Tom Johnson forced his way over under the posts for a try which Steenson converted.

Farrell then missed a glaring chance to reduce the arrears when he failed to convert a 30m penalty attempt from straight in front of the posts but he was on target with two penalties in quick succession.

Saracens made a dream start to the second period, scoring two tries in seven minutes. They were first gifted a try when Bryan Rennie's chip ahead fell straight into the hands of James Short, who raced 80m unopposed to score the try which Farrell converted.

The Chiefs then lost a lineout in their own 22, Saracens capitalised as Mouritz Botha drove on before Rhys Gill charged through some weak Exeter tackling for the try which again Farrell converted.

Farrell's fourth penalty extended Saracens' lead to 26-10 going into the final quarter before the hosts produced their best movement of the game with good contributions from Charlie Hodgson and Farrell creating the try for Goode which Farrell converted.

Hodgson then produced the moment of the match when he waltzed through a gap in the visitors' defence before rounding replacement full-back Ignacio Mieres, for a brilliant score. Farrell converted to bring his match tally to 20 points. Exeter launched a rally with two late tries from Chris Budgen and Matt Jess with one conversion from Steenson, but it was too little too late.


From Belfast Telegraph