| 9.3°C Belfast

Bangor GS 0-25 Sullivan Upper: Bangor crash out after Sullivan gain the upper hand


On the charge: Bangor Grammar’s Elliot Boylan on the attack against Sulivan Upper PRESSEYE

On the charge: Bangor Grammar’s Elliot Boylan on the attack against Sulivan Upper PRESSEYE

Brian Little

On the charge: Bangor Grammar’s Elliot Boylan on the attack against Sulivan Upper PRESSEYE

Bangor Grammar's first Schools' Cup game at their new campus ended unsuccessfully when Sullivan Upper proved too strong and ran in three tries to qualify for a quarter-final tie at Down High.

This was a formidable Sullivan team made up of a number of players that won the Danske Bank Medallion Shield three seasons ago and coached by former Irish captain Willie Anderson.

That team and Saturday's was captained by Ross Todd who again had a big part to play in the victory.

They have a number of representative players in their line-up including Dave Cave, David McMaster, Michael Cartmill, Josh Davidson, Peter Cooper, Zac Bertenshaw, Mark Adair, Angus McCartney and James Houston, so are expected to go far in the competition.

They have had a successful season so far which involved a training trip to Portugal.

On Saturday they elected to play with the wind in the first half and were only 13 points in front at the interval so that may have caused a bit of concern.

The accurate kicking of Mark Adair put the Holywood team six points in front with two penalties and they also had a try before the turnaround.

Scrum-half Charlie McKeown set it up and Chris Jordan touched down for Adair to goal.

It was anticipated that Bangor would use the gale when their turn came but it was the visitors who continued to control the possession under the leadership of Todd.

They upped their game and Bangor never really reached their anticipated heights.

They had been having a mixed season but coach Jason Morgan had instilled some discipline and confidence but it was not to be their day.

They were outplayed and Sullivan went on to score two more tries to put the issue beyond doubt against their deflated opponents.

“Our third try was a brilliant effort,” stated coach Anderson.

 “The forwards had been controlling in the bad weather before outside centre David McMaster finished off the move on the right.

“The pack continued to dictate the pattern of play and the final try came when they rumbled forward and Josh Davidson crossed for Adair to convert.

“We knew Bangor would come at us from the start and they did take it to us and full credit to them. They were well in the game for most of the first half.

“Our pack kept their discipline as we have done all year, keeping the ball tight and when required allowing the backs to run.

“I thought everybody played their part and if I have to mention some specific names I would say captain Ross Todd and Dave Cave showed up well as did Josh Davidson and Conor McAvoy.”

Bangor coach Jason Morgan felt his team let too many scoring chances be squandered

“It was a tight physical game and I congratulate Sullivan as they played the way we tried to.

“We were alright in the first half although there were a couple of key mistakes that allowed them to go six points ahead.

“They did everything right in the second half but I also think we could have done better.

“They were just too strong and we failed to play to our potential.”

Belfast Telegraph