Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby Schools Cup

Dalriada put Campbell in their place

Campbell College 5 Dalriada 15

The only surprise in the fourth round was the defeat of Campbell College by the unseeded Dalriada at Belmont.

This was a tie that they could well have won but they squandered too many scoring opportunities and gave away many penalties. But full credit to Dalriada who many thought came as underdogs and have now deservedly earned a quarter-final tie at either Belfast Royal Academy or Belfast Inst.

The Ballymoney team had most of the play in the first half and won a lot of possession.

They went in front after 14 minutes following an excellent move. From a line-out on the right the ball was moved from David Campbell to scrum-half Stuart Nevin and then eventually to Ben Henderson.

He made an outside break past his opposite number and fed full-back Lee Ballantine who scored.

Campbell came back but numerous handling errors, uncharacteristic of them, prevented them from reducing the arrears.

At this stage Dalriada were also helped as a Campbell forward was yellow carded for foul play in a maul.

Just on half-time Ballantine missed another penalty for Dalriada which was disappointing for them as they would liked to have gone in with a lead of 8-0.

He made amends shortly afterwards with a massive penalty from 45 metres and this was a big psychological blow for Dalriada.

This deficit appeared to bring Campbell to their senses as they proceeded to cross the visitor's line on at least four occasions but the referee adjudged that each time the ball had not been grounded.

This was a huge let off for the Ballymoney team and caused great frustration for the Campbell side.

The pressure eventually told and following a five metre line-out Ben Duckett crossed to make it 5-8.

They continued to attack from deep but still made plenty of errors so the visitors managed to keep them out.

With six minutes remaining Campbell made another couple of mistakes and the visitors picked up one of them and turned over the ball in open play.

The move to the left resulted in Henderson going round under the posts for Ballentine to score.

Undaunted Campbell came back again but the tie concluded with a scrum 10 metres from the Dalriada line so McCartney calmly kicked the ball into touch

A disappointing result for the Belfast team and a bit unlucky not to have been given at least one of the tries.

Lee Ballantine had a great game at full-back with his attackling play and his confidence under the high ball.

Roger Bonnar, captain and playing at No. 8, was outstanding while Henderson created plenty of space and tackled effectively.

Campbell College: J.Creighton, R.Scholes, P.Hunter, G.Bailie, S.Armstrong, C.Best, T.Hunt, M.Rodgers, L.Williamson, J.Philpott, P.Morrow, J.Allen, S.McBrien, B.Robertson, C.Jordan, R.Taylor, R.Taylor, J.Walmsley, J.Cooke, S.Moffett, M.Caholan, C.Tipping, B.Duckett, C.Haigh.

Dalriada: L.Ballentine, E.Strang, J.McLaughlin, B.Henderson, R.McIlroy, C.McCartney, S.Nevin, J.Laughlin, J.McMullan, R.Bickerstaff, K.McEneaney, S.Kyle, T.Monaghan, P.McCully, C.Morrison, D.Campbell, S.Mulholland, P.Eakin, A.Skelton, R.Bonnar, L.Montgomery.

Referee: M.Patton.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph