Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby Schools Cup

Enniskillen progress after early scare

Dromore High School 7-25 Enniskillen Royal GS

Dromore High, in their first season in the competition, scared Enniskillen Royal with a well executed try in the first couple of minutes but gradually the might of the visiting pack took over in the second half.

Again a large crowd turned up to support the gallant underdogs and they had something to cheer about when following a line-out Aaron Lyttle scored for Ben Martin to add the points.

Enniskillen used their superiority up front with Jack Rutledge and Morgan Bruce putting in a lot of hard work but the home defence held until the visitors managed a try.

They broke out of defence and hooker William Dobson scored to reduce the arrears. Reece Smyton then kicked a penalty to give Enniskillen an 8-7 interval advantage.

Dromore had managed to curtail their opponents during the first half but the pressure told as the visitors began to win more ball.

"It was a game of two halves," observed the Enniskillen coach Rhys Botha.

'We managed to hold Dromore out in the first half but our effort in the second was much improved. Andrew Crawford at No 8 had an excellent second half while centres Alex Parke and Angus Keys started to find gaps in the defence.

"I also thought replacements Adam Boles and Johnny Irvine made an impact when they came on."

Enniskillen's second try also came through their forwards with prop Andrew Dane crashing over before Jack Wilson added another.

The final try came following a solo effort from Rutledge who broke through in midfield to go under the posts for Smyton to goal. Dromore coach Josh Pentland was appreciative of the effort the boys made to reach the third round.

"The pupils and people of Dromore are aware of our progress in the game so that is something we can build on," the Malone star player concluded.

Enniskillen will face Royal School Armagh in the next round.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph