Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby Schools Cup

In Pictures:Schools Cup Rugby weekend January 30

A round-up off all the action from last weekend's Northern Bank Ulster Schools' Cup Round 2 clashes

Omagh Academy stormed into the last four at the expense of Lurgan College.

Despite home advantage, Lurgan finished on the wrong side of a 33-6 scoreline.

Omagh turned round leading 20-3, with James Kelso and Darren Clarke having touched down, enabling Andy Allen to add the extras.

Lurgan’s concession of a penalty under their own posts early in the second half saw Allen open up a 20-point gap, although However the hosts responded immediately with a second Mark McIlwaine making the score 23-6.

Michael Gibson bagged Omagh's third try and once again Allen converted before adding a final penalty to complete the victory.

Larne Grammar recovered from their recent setbacks to pip East Antrim rivals, Carrickfergus Grammar, 21-17.

Ryan McAllister and Calum Patton crossed the line for Larne, as did out-half Robert McKinley, who scored all of his side’s remaining points.

In the third Northern Bank Ulster Schools’ Trophy quarter-final, holders, Portora RS, were comprehensive winners against Antrim Grammar who went down 34-0.

Meanwhile ahead of their Schools' Cup entrances, Methody and Ballymena Academy lined out at Pirrie Park.

Worringly, from a Methody perspective, it finished 8-7 to the guests.

Ballymena started strongly, but a Methody counter-attack allowed them to put the first points on the board when — after a number of phases in midfield — centre Mark McIlwaine burst through to score under the posts, with Rudolph Benade adding the extras.

Undeterred, the visitors remained strong in defence and were awarded with a penalty moments later when Methody infringed at the breakdown. Darren Geddis was successful with his kick to reduce he arrears to 7-3.

Ten minutes from the interval was the turning point in the game when Ballymena's George Hargy powered over to score an unconverted try and sneak a one-point lead.

The second half remained scoreless to ensure Ballymena recorded a narrow 8-7 victory over the Belfast side.

In another tight fixture, RBAI travelled to Wallace High and dominated early proceedings. The first half remained a fairly even affair, with Peter Creighton landing a penalty to give Inst a 3-0 lead at the interval.

The visitors turned down several penalty opportunities in the second half, opting to kick to the corners instead. Late in the game, Creighton opted for the posts and was successful with a second penalty.

Yet it was to be the home side who had the final say in the game as a mistake from RBAI at the restart allowed Wallace's Jordan Heatley to touch down in the corner. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful, giving Inst the closest of victories.

The fixture between Limavady Grammar and Ballyclare High saw the home side fall to their first home loss this season, despite some spirited play. The immense power of Ballyclare's pack dominated the set pieces, allowing their backs to play the ball and resulted in Peter Ferguson claiming an unconverted try.

The home side raised their efforts after the break, but an injury to a Ballyclare player forced the game to be cut short with the final scoreline reading 5-0 to the visitors.

RS Armagh travelled to Dublin to play King's Hospital School and came away with a well-deserved 19-0 victory. Thomas Johnston and Daniel Reaney were the try scorers while Alistair Wright landed three penalties and displayed great game management to put in a Man of the Match performance.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph