| 13.6°C Belfast

McMaster puts the boot into Grosvenor

Coleraine have been rewarded with a home fourth round game against Regent House following their victory over Grosvenor Grammar in Belfast.

The home half-back partnership of Martin Irwin and the captain Johnny Taylor combined well and set up plenty of good moves but Coleraine had a match winner in Ritchie McMaster.

His accurate kicking prevented Grosvenor from penetrating the '22' on many occasions and he was always keeping his pack going forward. Inst captain Dean Rankin played courageously in the centre while Michael Shiells was lively in the loose.

Coleraine narrowly led 7-3 at the interval after a fairly even first period. The visitors always looked dangerous but full credit to Grosvenor who had to defend stoutly on a number of occasions.

It was the visitors who took the lead with a well executed try. It was from a scrum 15 metres in which was slightly wheeled in that the ball shot out and blind side flanker Keith McKnight picked up. Michael Shiells was then involved before scrum-half ran in for out-half Ritchie McMaster to convert.

Despite this set-back the home team were winning a fair share of possession but failed to make full use.

They attacked against the strong Coleraine defence but towards half-time they had their reward when Matthew Little kicked a penalty from in front of the posts. So that made the score 7-3 which was a good reflection of the tie so far.

Grosvenor started the second period strongly but, against the run of play, McMaster kicked a penalty. The visitors then made sure of success when a 'fumbled ' pass gave them a 'gift' of a try. There was a scrum inside the home '22' when the wayward pass went to ground and it was scrum-half Patrick Farrell who took advantage and Kyle Markey who dived on the ball to score.

At this stage Coleraine had a rather flattering 17-3 advantage but, undaunted, Grosvenor kept to their task and produced some good rugby.

They were winning the better of the exchanges and after 33 minutes they scored their try, It came from Scott Irvine and Little added the conversion.

Coleraine coach Richard Beggs was pleased with the outcome.

He said: “It was a formidable challenge but we will have to be even better when we play Regent.”

Grosvenor coach Kyle McCallan was disappointed.

“The tie could have gone either way. Coleraine were good on the counter attack but I felt we more than held our own up front. With a little bit of luck we could well have clinched it,” he said.

Grosvenor Grammar: P.Jamison, M.Foster, C.Herron, M.Harland, C.McCartney, D.Fullerton, C.Chandler, C.Sinclair, M.Irwin, J.Taylor, C.Quinn, M.Little, D.Montgomery, S,Irvine, C.Cahoon, R.McKnight, P.Kennedy, K.Finlay, S.Smyth, N.Jones, S.Simpson

Coleraine AI: S.Best, J.Liken, B.McCullough, C.McLaughlin, A.Rankin, A.Dorrans, K.McKnight, M.Shiels, P.Farrell, R.McMaster, R.Dehaghani, D.Rankin, A.McKnight, J.McDowell, K.Markey, A.Dysart, C,Nicholl, M.Brown, J.Livingstone, A.Asghar, A.Brown, A.Clarke.

Referee: S.McConkey

Belfast Telegraph