Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Scotland A hit back to win

Scotland claimed a 32-13 win over Ireland Wolfhounds in the 'A' team international at Netherdale.

Several Scottish players were looking to catch the eye of watching international coach Andy Robinson.

The Wolfhounds had taken a 13-9 lead at the interval after a good opening, however, Scotland fought back and tries from Moray Low and Hefin O'Hare helped them to victory.

After an opening Irish blitz the hosts drew first blood. A Scots counter-attack after Ian Humphreys had put them on the back foot saw the Irish offend and David Blair opened the scoring with a 40-metre penalty.

Ireland hit back with a vengeance and when wing Johne Murphy burst into the line, his offload to flanker Willie Faloon looked like a scoring pass until O'Hare put in a try-saving tackle. However, the Irish recycled smartly and Faloon was back on his feet to take the pass and touch down, giving Humphreys a simple conversion.

Blair slotted a penalty to pull the Scots back to within a point - but the Irish upped their game and two Humphreys penalties on 16 and 28 minutes gave them a handy cushion.

However, lock Scott Macleod - who was putting in a big shift in the line-out and the loose - then forced the Irish to offend 40 metres out and Blair was successful with the kick, reducing the Irish lead to 13-9 at the turnaround.

Ireland had dominated the breakdown and possession in the first half but after the break the Scots took control. Props Low, on for Jon Welsh, and Geoff Cross gave the Irish pack a torrid time and their combined drive saw Ireland concede a simple penalty which Blair missed.

The Scots dominance continued though and was epitomised when they opted to put a kickable penalty into touch. It proved the right decision as Low crashed over from the drive and Blair's conversion from wide out put the Scots in the lead.

The Irish were in disarray, Blair and skipper Greig Laidlaw added further penalties and a great night for the Scots was rounded off when O'Hare scorched in off Fraser McKenzie's pass for a last-minute try which Blair converted.


From Belfast Telegraph