Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Scotland captain Greig Laidlaw: This team is on right track

Scotland failed to end their RBS 6 Nations campaign on a high, but skipper Greig Laidlaw insists his side are moving in the right direction.

The Dark Blues were looking to record a third successive Championship victory for the first time in two decades when they faced Ireland in Dublin.

But a 35-25 defeat at the Aviva Stadium has sapped some of the joy Vern Cotter's team built up in back-to-back wins over Italy and France.

However, a year on from trudging out of the tournament on the back of a five-defeat whitewash, Laidlaw is confident his side are making progress.

He said: "This team's going forward, and I think that's clear - people should see that.

"If they don't, I don't know what games they're watching because we were in these Test matches.

"We were extremely disappointed with the way we started against England in the first match. We lost by six then went to Wales and lost by four.

"Even though we were ill-disciplined and disappointed with how we performed, we were still in it (on Saturday).

"If we can learn from this and be cool, keep hold of the ball and develop that, then we'll be in more games than not."

Scotland were well off the pace against the Irish in the first half but did grab a surprise lead following Stuart Hogg's magical solo break.

But the solid Dark Blues discipline which has stood up to so much provocation in recent weeks finally cracked.

First John Barclay was sin-binned for repeated fouls around the ruck as Ireland tried to turn the screws. While the Scarlets flanker was in the bin, the hosts struck twice with tries from CJ Stander and Keith Earls.

They added a third score just after the break from Conor Murray but Scotland looked set to fight themselves back into the game after Richie Gray jogged in under the posts.

But another yellow card - this time to Alex Dunbar after he tossed Johnny Sexton onto his back at a ruck - killed their momentum and Devon Toner put daylight between the teams, rendering Dunbar's late try meaningless.


From Belfast Telegraph