| 8.5°C Belfast

Sharks savage strugglers


Will Addison scored two of Sale's eight tries

Will Addison scored two of Sale's eight tries

Will Addison scored two of Sale's eight tries

Sale Sharks grabbed maximum Aviva Premiership points as they buried basement side London Welsh under an eight-try barrage at the Kassam Stadium.

It was the Exiles' 14th straight league defeat this season although scrum-half Rob Lewis got the first try of the game with big number eight Opeti Fonua adding another after the break.

Between those scores, the Sharks were ruthless with hooker Tommy Taylor plus wings Tom Arscott and Will Addison scoring two tries each while full-back Mike Haley also went over.

Fly-half Nick Macleod converted five of the touchdowns, with replacement wing Mark Cueto getting another towards the end which was converted by replacement Joe Ford.

Welsh got off to the perfect start when Lewis, on his 100th appearance for the club, intercepted a loose pass from Sale centre Johnny Leota near his own 10-metre line and sprinted 60 metres to score under the posts, making Jewell's conversion simple.

However, that was as far as they got in the match as Sale struck back almost immediately when Haley was sent over on the left after Scottish scrum-half Chris Cusiter cleared a ruck and fired the ball to Addison to put the full-back over.

It signalled a try feast for Sale as they exploited the Welsh weaknesses to run riot.

The Sharks took the lead when they disrupted a home scrum inside the 22 and forced their way to the line, which saw Taylor power over from two metres and Macleod add the conversion.

The Welsh momentum looked to have gone as Sale control the possession on halfway but the Exiles regained some confidence and found their way through to threaten the Sale line.

Fonua battered the Sharks' defence but Welsh just could not find a way through.

Sale's front five also gave the Welsh pack a tough afternoon at the scrums and when the cracks began to arrive in the home defence, Sale exploited them. Weak tackling saw Addison race 30 metres under the posts with Macleod converting.

And the Sharks secured the first objective of the day six minutes before the interval when centre Sam Tuitupou dashed left and slipped a lovely ball under his arm to Taylor for his second try and gave Sale a try bonus point.

Macleod added the conversion and sent over a fifth as Arscott rubbed salt into the big Welsh wound when Cusiter intercepted a pass in his own 22 and began a move down the left that ended with his wing touching down.

And Arscott made it six tries when he dived on a neat grubber kick to the corner just before opponent Will Robinson could touch down.

Welsh did have another chance to score when centre James Tincknell took a popped pass from wing Nick Scott to go over the line but the Sale cover turned him and prevented the try.

Fonua got his deserved try on the hour but it was scant consolation for the Exiles as Sale went down a few gears with their work done and Welsh enjoyed more territory and possession.

But a poor Welsh pass with six minutes to go on halfway gifted Cueto a run-in, which Ford converted from the touchline, and a final flourish saw Addison get his second on the right wing with a minute of the game left.