| 7.7°C Belfast

Wales 19-10 France: By George, the Welsh are right back in title mix


Fist pump: Wales' George North (left) celebrates scoring his team's first try with Bradley Davis

Fist pump: Wales' George North (left) celebrates scoring his team's first try with Bradley Davis

AFP/Getty Images

Fist pump: Wales' George North (left) celebrates scoring his team's first try with Bradley Davis

Wales moved top of the RBS 6 Nations Championship table after recording a fifth successive victory over France to set up a potential title showdown with England in two weeks' time.

England will reclaim pole position if they beat Ireland today, but Wales are also firmly in the mix for Six Nations crown after wing George North's second-half breakaway try underpinned an unspectacular 19-10 success.

Fly-half Dan Biggar converted North's touchdown and kicked four penalties for a 14-point haul, while his opposite number Jules Plisson replied with a penalty and Les Bleus skipper Guilhem Guirado claimed an 80th-minute try that Francois Trinh-Duc converted as Wales prevailed at the Principality Stadium.

North's 46th-minute score - his 25th Wales try - calmed the home team's nerves after their first-half territorial supremacy was not backed up by points during a game that will not live long in the memory.

Ultimately, it was a case of job done, with Wales' defence again proving world class as France were repelled during a lengthy period of second-half pressure, before Guirado pounced. In the last six Tests between the countries, Les Bleus have scored just two tries.

With their unbeaten Six Nations record ended this season, France's title aspirations also look over, but Wales remain masters of their own destiny and they will head to Twickenham on March 12, five months after a 28-25 victory there contributed hugely to England's painful World Cup demise.

Wales made a purposeful, fast start, dominating territory and moving ball through the hands with impressive frequency. France could not escape from their own half and a lack of composure was underlined when Plisson kicked straight into touch from outside his own 22.

Biggar should have put Wales ahead after nine minutes, but he sent an angled penalty wide of the target and then Plisson followed suit from longer range.

The home side went ahead through a Biggar penalty early in the second quarter when France lock Paul Jedrasiak appeared to take out Wales number eight Taulupe Faletau off the ball.

A second Biggar penalty doubled Wales' lead, yet France quickly halved the deficit through a Plisson short-range strike after referee Wayne Barnes made use of replays before ruling an illegal tackle by Lydiate.

Biggar put Wales 9-3 ahead three minutes into the second period after a dangerous Jonathan Danty tackle on Cuthbert, although once again the home side will feel they might have had more of a scoring return, but were guilty of making one pass too many.

The opening try, though, finally arrived when a French attack broke down in midfield, Jonathan Davies kicked cleverly into space and a sprinting North, who initially miskicked with his right foot when he attempted to tap the ball over the line, still had time to gather and touch down.

Biggar added the conversion to open up a 13-point advantage, but just when there appeared no way back for France, they established prolonged pressure through their forwards that tested Wales' defence and ensured they retained a fighting chance.

For long enough, the Wales defence held firm, and danger was averted entering the final quarter. The game signed, sealed and settled - despite the late Guirado try - Wales now move on to Twickenham and a clash against their fiercest rivals that will not be for the faint-hearted.

Belfast Telegraph