Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Super Shields has all the answers for slick Malone


By Ronnie Ingram

Malone qualified for the second round of the First Trust Senior Cup with a 47-3 win although City of Derry put up some strong defending in the first quarter at Gibson Park.

It was the visitors who took the lead against the run of play in the 21st minute when Alex McDonald kicked a penalty. This led to Malone upping their efforts and once they were ahead they forced the pace for a 21-3 interval advantage.

Following a maul on the '22' second row forward Michael Shields broke through to score. Hooker Danny Kerr cut free to go under the posts before he crashed over the line from another maul for his second. Campbell converted all three.

The trend continued after the restart when Shields charged over for his second after six minutes which was also goaled. Inter-passing led to flanker Dave Cave crossing for the fifth but a back eventually got on the score sheet when scrum-half Shane Kelly took a tap penalty and dived over for Josh Pentland to add the points.

In the 66th minute a fantastic off-load by substitute Ryan Spence led to Michael Cartmill going in under the posts.

Holders Ballynahinch advanced, narrowly eliminating Belfast Harlequins 18-13. After 29 minutes and following a number of phases full back Paddy Wright crossed on the right. Ben Sloan reduced the arrears with a penalty but Wright finished off again to put the visitors 10-3 ahead.

After 45 minutes Richard Rainey scored on the left. Quins came back with a Neil Montgomery try and a Sloan penalty, while substitute James McBriar kicked an easy penalty.

In the other ties Dungannon reversed last week's League defeat by Queen's with a 20-15 win at Upper Malone.

Fourteen points in the dying minutes secured Banbridge a comfortable victory at Rainey on a 32-12 scoreline. Overall they ran in five tries.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph