Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Thomson wins it for Glasgow

Glasgow Warriors 9 Ospreys 3

By Robert Jones

Brandon Thomson's second half hat-trick of penalties earned Glasgow a 9-3 Guinness PRO14 victory over Ospreys at a wet and windy Scotstoun Stadium.

Rugby round up Newsletter

Game previews, plus expert insights and exclusive commentary from the Belfast Telegraph sports team.

The visitors had led at half-time through Sam Davies' 32nd-minute penalty but he also missed two other opportunities in the first half and was left to rue them as Glasgow claimed a hard-fought win.

The four points see the Warriors leapfrog Munster at the top of Conference A, although the Irish province can reclaim first place when they take on Dragons on Saturday.

The dreary conditions plagued much of the opening phases, resulting in both sides coughing up possession.

With ball retention proving difficult, the Ospreys took a roll of the dice with a stabbed kick through to the dead ball area from skipper Davies.

Luke Morgan could not quite get the edge on Ruaridh Jackson, however, and the full back dived down to bring up a 22-metre drop-out.

Sam Cross punished slack defence with a storming run through the middle only to be denied by a brilliant last-ditch tackle from Nick Frisby two metres out. The Warriors managed to weather the following phases and escape unscathed.

However, the Ospreys did manage to get on the scoreboard just after the half-hour when Davies slotted over a penalty from outside the 22 - redeeming himself for a skewed attempt 10 minutes earlier.

Davies had another chance to extend his side's lead with a minute left in the first half, but he could not convert his penalty - and the Warriors made the most of those let-offs after the break.

They drew level when Thomson slotted over a routine penalty after Ospreys were deemed to have illegally collapsed a maul by referee John Lacey.

Man of the match Thomson then struck twice more in quick succession to put the hosts 9-3 ahead, and the away side could find no way back after that.

Thomson's first, on the hour mark, was a straightforward effort from in front of the posts but his second moments later was a 55-metre monster which successfully utilised the tailwind.

A yellow card with nine minutes left ended Glasgow scrum-half Niko Matawalu's night prematurely and gave Ospreys an opening.

A penalty in the dying embers gave them an opportunity, but a careless clear-out from Olly Cracknell at the ruck brought the threat to an end and with it went Osprey hopes.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph