Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Tipuric stars in Ospreys success

British and Irish Lions flanker Justin Tipuric scored two tries as Ospreys trounced the Dragons by four tries to two in the RaboDirect PRO12 Welsh derby at the Liberty Stadium.

Dan Biggar also provided 17 points with the boot with the other tries coming from a penalty try and one for replacement hooker Scott Baldwin.

But there was an injury scare for Wales and the Dragons when Toby Faletau left the field on a stretcher 13 minutes into the second half and was taken to Morriston Hospital in Swansea as a precaution.

Ospreys switched Biggar from fly-half to full-back with Richard Fussell out with a back problem. It allowed Matthew Morgan to start at number 10.

Dragons were boosted by the return of skipper Andrew Coombs, but fly-half Jason Tovey was sidelined with concussion.

Ospreys, who lost their opening two Heineken Cup matches, were stunned by the Dragons with a try after only four minutes.

Coombs broke down the right and put former Ospreys wing Tom Prydie over for the opening score. Kris Burton converted to give the visitors a 7-0 lead.

But the Ospreys responded with the first of three first half penalties for Biggar which was followed by a memorable try.

Morgan broke loose to go on a 30-yard run, but when he was caught by Faletau he was able to off load to Tipuric, who went over by the posts.

Biggar converted and eight minutes later added a penalty as the home side led 13-7.

The Dragons went through the phases but with the Ospreys defence holding firm they resorted to a Burton drop goal eight minutes from the break.

Biggar had the last say with a penalty from the 22 to give his side a 16-10 interval advantage.

It was all Ospreys at the start of the second half as they opened up a 16-point lead within seven minutes of the resumption.

Morgan opened the second half account with a drop goal before Tipuric showed his skill with a run, kick and chase to go over for his second try, converted by Biggar.

But play was held up for nearly 15 minutes while Faletau was given treatment for his neck injury - af ter Dragons replacement flanker Ieuan Jones was yellow-carded.

The Ospreys were dominant up front and they were awarded a penalty try which was followed by Baldwin going over for the bonus point try.

Before the end Dragons replacement prop Francisco Tetaz Chaparro went over for his side's second try - but the visitors were soundly beaten by then.


From Belfast Telegraph