Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Tom Wood waits to see if he will pay for incident with Liam Williams

England flanker Tom Wood will discover by Monday morning if he is to be cited for the blow that knocked Wales full-back Liam Williams unconscious in Saturday's 28-25 World Cup defeat at Twickenham.

Williams' evening was ended in the 67th minute when he was struck on the head by Wood's shin as the Red Rose flanker attempted to kick a loose ball towards the Welsh line.

After several minutes of treatment, Williams was driven from the pitch on the medical cart and he must now begin the return to play protocols for concussion, potentially ruling him out of the remaining two group games against Fiji and Australia.

World Rugby regulations state that a citing must be made within 36 hours of the match ending, setting Monday 10am as the deadline. Any hearing will then be held 48 hours later.

Wood used Twitter to express his remorse that Williams - Wales' must potent carrier in the pivotal Pool A showdown - had been forced off.

"@SanjayWills really relieved to hear ur back on ur feet ok mate.Horrible to see u stretchered off because of me.Hope u hav a speedy recovery," Wood said.

Shaun Edwards revealed on Sunday morning that the incident had been examined by Wales, who had until 12 hours after the game to bring it to the attention of the citing officer.

"There was definitely contact between part of Tom Wood's body and Liam's head. It is something we are going to look at. I think we will make a comment on that later on. We did lose one of our best players," Edwards said.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph