Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Toulouse move step closer to Champions Cup quarter-finals with Wasps win

The English side, who lost 42-27, are out of the qualification equation.

Toulouse moved a step closer to the Heineken Champions Cup quarter-finals with a 42-27 bonus point victory over Wasps at the Stade Ernest-Wallon.

Rugby round up Newsletter

Game previews, plus expert insights and exclusive commentary from the Belfast Telegraph sports team.

The four-time European champions retained top spot in Pool One with Wasps mathematically out of the equation.

Tries from Yoann Huget, Joe Tekori, Romain Ntamack and two from Antoine Dupont plus 17 points from the boot of Thomas Ramos were enough to secure the win.

Wasps scored three tries of their own courtesy of Josh Bassett, Willie Le Roux and Ross Neal with Billy Searle kicking 12 points.

The home side crossed for their first try within three minutes with Huget intercepting a loose pass from Le Roux in the Wasps 22 to cross at the far left hand corner.

Wasps ground their way into the Toulouse half with Searle cutting the home side’s lead to two points with a successful penalty attempt.

Thomas Young sparked his side into life with a 30 metre break down the touchline before being brought down.

The ball was eventually recycled with Le Roux and Young showing some terrific handling to put Basset over for their first try.

Toulouse hit straight back with the softest of offloads from Sofiane Guitoune releasing Tekori who sidestepped Le Roux to score.

The hosts continued to lay siege to the Wasps line as they looked to power their way over but the ball was recycled to Jerome Kaino who put Ntamack over with a nice pass.

Wasps kept coming back at their hosts with Elliot Daly breaking clear from his own 22.

The England international ran all the way to the Toulouse 22 before finding Le Roux on his shoulder with the Springbok running in unopposed.

Toulouse had a try disallowed just before the interval when Huget spilt the ball forward over the line after a neat pass from Ramos.

Ramos and Searle exchanged penalties meaning Toulouse led 22-20 at the break.

It took the home side a mere three minutes of the second half to secure the bonus point try with Huget hitting the perfect angle before his inside pass sent Dupont over.

But Searle dragged Wasps back into the game with his searing inside break releasing Le Roux on his outside who sent Neal flying over the try line.

The home side finally pulled clear of Wasps when an offload from Zak Holmes sent Ramos racing 30 metres up field before the full back put Dupont over for his second.

Ramos capped a fine performance with a late penalty.



From Belfast Telegraph