Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Twickenham success for All Blacks

England produced a rousing second-half performance at Twickenham - but it was not enough to overhaul New Zealand in a 26-16 defeat.

The All Blacks had stormed into a 14-0 lead after 20 minutes with tries from Hosea Gear and Kieran Read, and they led 17-3 at the interval.

England, on the back of a powerful scrummaging performance, hit back in the second period and engineered a debut Test try for Dylan Hartley. However, despite finishing the match with Jerome Kaino in the sin-bin, New Zealand held Martin Johnson's side at bay, with Dan Carter booting 16 points.

Carter, who averages nearly 19 points a game against England, missed an early penalty shot but England could not stem the tide forever and conceded two tries in the space of four minutes.

Inevitably the first was created by debutant Sonny Bill Williams, who drew two men in midfield before offloading one-handed to Kaino, the marauding flanker who charged deep into the England half before finding Gear. Chris Ashton did his best to bundle the All Blacks wing into touch but the try was awarded by Italian video referee Giulio De Santis and Carter converted from the touchline.

Carter carved England open straight from the restart and Ashton had to retreat to collect Gear's chip and concede a five-metre scrum. England halted Gear's run on the crash ball but Read drove over the line by the posts and Carter's simple conversion opened up a 14-0 lead.

Toby Flood nudged England onto the scoreboard but it was cancelled out by a three-pointer from Carter.

England's dominance in the scrum grew in the second half and Flood slotted a second penalty but Carter responded immediately after Steve Thompson had been penalised for hands in the ruck.

Hartley came on for Thompson and the dynamic Rotorua-born hooker made an immediate impact, scoring his first Test try to bring England back into the game just before the hour.

England had a real momentum but kept shooting themselves in the foot, allowing Carter to strike two penalties either side of one from Flood that kept the All Blacks two scores clear. The hosts spent the last 15 minutes camped in New Zealand territory and Kaino was sin-binned as the pressure began to tell - but they were unable to find a way through.

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph