Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Wales international Harry Robinson forced to retire from rugby because of injury

Wales international Harry Robinson says he is "utterly devastated" after being forced to retire from rugby because of injury.

The 23-year-old Scarlets wing suffered a serious neck injury at the end of last season that required surgery.

Although surgery was successful, three times-capped Robinson has now confirmed his retirement following a lengthy battle to resume playing regional rugby.

"I am utterly devastated, and it is a very, very bitter pill to have to swallow," said Robinson, in a statement released by the Scarlets.

"During a game at the end of last season, I suffered a significant neck injury that subsequently needed serious neck surgery. It came as a huge shock to hear the surgeon explain that it was unlikely I would ever return to play professional rugby.

"This was not a prognosis that I wanted to believe or accept.

"Following successful surgery to ensure that I was at no greater risk of making my injury and condition worse, I was determined to come back to play again for the Scarlets. It is difficult to accept that I will never do this again.

"I have worked so hard over the last 10 months to return to full fitness and regain the functionality I had before the injury. It is with great regret that I have been unable to do this.

"As it has turned out, the consultant was correct with his initial assessment of my injury and the ultimate impact on my career.

"While I am devastated, I count myself very lucky and enormously privileged.

"I have had a fantastic six years as a professional rugby player with both Cardiff Blues and Scarlets. I have travelled all over the world at every age grade, with Wales sevens and the Wales squad.

"New challenges lie ahead of me now, and I will embrace these with the commitment and dedication I have learnt over the years as a player."

Robinson made his Wales debut against the Barbarians in 2012, scoring a try, then started both Tests on Wales' Japan tour a year later.


From Belfast Telegraph