Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Waratahs defeat struggling Stormers

The Waratahs reignited their bid for a top-six spot in the Super Rugby standings with a 22-11 victory over the struggling Stormers in Cape Town.

The Waratahs were beaten by the Sharks last time out but bounced back with three of their Wallabies contingent scoring their points at Newlands, Nick Phipps crossing for a first-half try with Bernard Foley and Kurtley Beale adding 11 points and six respectively with the boot.

The Stormers had twice led in the first half through Peter Grant's penalty and Kobus van Wyk's try, but they could not hold on as they crashed to yet another defeat.

The South African side were Super Rugby runners-up in 2010 and reached the semi-finals in both the following two years but they have had a nightmare time so far this season, having lost five of their opening six games prior to this weekend.

They were bottom of the table coming into the match but would have taken some hope from the fact they had had not lost to the Waratahs in Cape Town since 2006.

The Stormers would also have been boosted by the 11th-minute penalty from Grant that put them ahead, and the 20th-minute try from Van Wyk that restored their lead at 8-7 after the Waratahs had hit back through Phipps' opportunistic score.

Van Wyk's effort was only the ninth try the Waratahs have conceded this season - they boast the best defensive record in the competition - but it proved to be in vain as the Australian side reclaimed the lead before the break, and never surrendered it.

Foley, who converted Phipps' try, slotted over a 34th-minute penalty to give the Waratahs a 10-8 half-time lead, and then he and team-mate Beale fired over two more kicks at the start of the second half to make it 16-8.

The Stormers thought they had pulled a try back soon after when Juan de Jongh went over, but that was ruled out by the TMO and the home side had to settle for just three points after going back for a penalty.

That made it 16-11 but the hosts would get no closer and two more successful penalties from Beale and Foley sealed the victory for the Waratahs.


From Belfast Telegraph