Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Waratahs edge thriller

The Waratahs rediscovered their tryscoring touch to move into the top four of the Super Rugby standings with a thrilling 39-30 bonus-point win over the Hurricanes in Sydney.

The Australian side had only managed one try per game in each of their previous five matches, but they ran in five in total on Saturday to see off the Hurricanes and keep the pressure up on the leading trio above them.

The Hurricanes managed three tries of their own in an end-to-end contest but ultimately they were unable to even collect a losing bonus point to remain just outside the top six in the standings.

The Waratahs took a 7-0 lead early on through winger Rob Horne's score but they were then hit by a superb charge from the Hurricanes which saw the visitors put 24 unanswered points on the board in quick succession.

Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Beauden Barrett and Julian Savea all crossed for tries during a stunning 13-minute spell for the Hurricanes, who looked on course for a sixth win of the campaign at that point.

However, t he Waratahs, looking to extend an seven-match winning streak at home, battled back superbly to level the scores up at 24-24 at the interval.

Captain Dave Dennis and Bernard Foley collected tries in the space of three minutes, with the latter converting both before slotting over a penalty on the stroke of half-time that saw the teams return to the changing rooms all-square.

The momentum was with the Waratahs and they reclaimed the lead 14 minutes into the second half through Matt Carraro's first Super Rugby try - in what was his first start in the competition since 2008.

That proved the key breakthrough as the Waratahs never relinquished their advantage after that.

The Hurricanes refused to give in, though, and a brace of Barrett penalties - taking his personal match haul to 20 points - got them back to within a point at 31-30 down just after the hour.

However, two minutes later the Waratahs crossed for their fifth and final try when replacement Stephen Hoiles finished off a fine move, and a late penalty from Foley sealed the victory and leave the Hurricanes without a bonus point.


From Belfast Telegraph