Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Worcester round off Anglo-Welsh Cup fixtures with impressive away win at Cardiff

Worcester completed their Anglo-Welsh Cup fixtures in style with a 53-38 win over Cardiff at the Arms Park to record their first away win since March 2016.

With both sides already unable to progress in the competition, the game was very loose and error-ridden, which resulted in a total of 13 tries.

Josh Adams and Wynand Olivier scored two tries apiece for Worcester and there was one each for Jack Singleton, Alafoti Fa'osiliva, Sam Lewis, Bryce Heem, with Ryan Mills converting five and added a penalty.

Harri Millard touched down twice for Blues, with Cam Dolan, Jarrod Evans and Tomos Williams also posting scores. Steve Shingler converted four and kicked a penalty, with Evans adding a conversion, but they remained winless in the competition having conceded 187 points in losing their four pool matches.

Mills missed the first opportunity for points by firing wide with a third-minute penalty, but soon made amends with a simpler kick to put Warriors ahead after eight minutes.

From the restart, Worcester added their first try when a clever pass from Francois Hougaard released Adams down the right flank before he and Heem combined well for the full-back to score.

Mills converted before Shingler put Blues on the scoreboard with a penalty after Warriors had infringed twice in quick succession.

The visitors then suffered two further blows, Dean Hammond leaving the field with an injury and then Dolan intercepting a loose pass from Mills to race 30 metre and score.

Shingler's conversion brought the scores level, but almost immediately Singleton finished off a line-out drive to put his side back in front.

The carelessness of both sides in the first quarter was further emphasised by a clearance from Evans being charged down by Lewis for the flanker to pick up and run 30 metres to give the visitors a healthy 22-10 lead.

When Worcester scored two further converted tries before half-time, it was game over for Cardiff. A high kick from Mills bounced favourably for Adams to collect his second try before another telegraphed pass was intercepted by Olivier, who strolled over.

The frenetic first half was completed with a seventh try when Millard crossed for the hosts, with Shingler's conversion leaving Blues trailing 36-17 at the interval.

After the restart, Williams nipped over from close range before Worcester regained control with two quickfire tries. An alert pass from Hougaard created a try for Heem before another came through Fa'osiliva from a driving line-out.

A second try from the elusive Millard gave Blues a bonus point before Blues second row Ben Edwards was yellow-carded, which allowed Worcester to cruise in the final quarter.

Olivier scored his second for Warriors but Blues fly-half Evans then posted the best individual try of the game, producing a skilful kick ahead which he collected before running 45 metres to score.


From Belfast Telegraph