Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Rugby

Worcester's losing run continues

Worcester's woes continued after a last-gasp try from Tanguy Molcard saw them lose 19-15 to Biarritz in the Amlin Challenge Cup.

The Warriors had lost all seven previous fixtures at Sixways this season but looked set to break their duck thanks to tries from Dean Hammond and Alex Grove, and the boot of Chris Pennell.

However, Molcard crossed with the very last play to leave Worcester head coach Dean Ryan waiting for his first win in 12 European and Aviva Premiership games this term.

Worcester led 12-0 with just over half an hour gone after Hammond crossed on 26 minutes and Grove followed suit five minutes later, but Pennell could only convert one score having also missed an earlier penalty.

A converted try from American wing Taku Ngwenya cut the gap to 12-7 four minutes before the break when Ofa Fainga'anuku had been yellow carded, and Biarritz surged ahead with 62 minutes played when Yann Lesgourgues crossed under the posts.

Pennell's kick then looked to have won it for Worcester but Molcard ensured their nightmare start continued.

Despite Biarritz's victory, Sale clung on to the top spot in Pool One thanks to a bonus point in their 16-10 defeat to Oyonnax.

The French club have been giant killers in the Top 14 and an Augustin Figuerola try ensured they claimed their first European win before Joe Ford snatched a losing bonus point with a late drop goal.

Benjamin Urdapilleta booted Oyonnax into the lead after just two minutes at Stade Charles Mathon but Sale grabbed the first try.

As the 15-minute mark approached the ball was spread to Rob Miller, who threaded a pinpoint kick through for Phil MacKenzie, who collected the ball and stepped inside Silvere Tian to score.

Nick Macleod added the extras but Urdapilleta quickly hit back as Oyonnax responded in perfect fashion.

They took the lead on 20 minutes as Figuerola caught the Sharks napping with a quick tap on the edge of the 22 to dart over.

Urdapilleta was once again on target and the French club weathered a Sale storm to enter the break leading 13-7

A stalemate then ensued in the second half until Nicolas Vuillemin struck a penalty on the 74th minute and Ford responded.


From Belfast Telegraph