| 12.2°C Belfast

Hearn: we'll aim to find new slot for showpiece

 

Close

The Betfred World Snooker Championship has been postponed in the latest major change to the sporting calendar caused by the coronavirus pandemic.  (stock photo)

The Betfred World Snooker Championship has been postponed in the latest major change to the sporting calendar caused by the coronavirus pandemic. (stock photo)

PA

The Betfred World Snooker Championship has been postponed in the latest major change to the sporting calendar caused by the coronavirus pandemic. (stock photo)

The Betfred World Snooker Championship has been postponed in the latest major change to the sporting calendar caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

The World Snooker Tour said in a statement yesterday that they intend to host the tournament, which had been due to run from April 18 to May 4, in July or August at the Crucible.

The statement added: "We are awaiting feedback from the BBC and our other principal broadcasters before dates are confirmed and we hope to make a further announcement in the coming days."

WST chairman Barry Hearn said: "These are tough times for everyone but we are determined to get through it. Fans around the world - as well as the 144 players involved - are anxious to know if and when the World Championship will go ahead.

"It is important we strive to find solutions for tournaments."

Belfast Telegraph