A loyalist accused of the murder of Ian Ogle is still walking the streets despite being convicted of other offences committed while on bail.
Glenn Rainey - who is also facing cocaine dealing charges - pleaded guilty to driving without a licence or insurance at a sitting of Belfast Magistrates Court last Wednesday.
He was banned from being behind the wheel for six months and fined £75, after being stopped by police driving a Volkswagen Golf on the Albertbridge Road on November 15 last year.
At the time the 34-year-old, whose address the media is prevented from reporting, was on strict bail conditions. These were imposed after he was charged with the East Belfast UVF murder of Ian Ogle in January 2019, and of playing a major role in a cocaine distribution network busted by cops two months later.
Both cases will be heard by non-jury Diplock courts.
Despite confessing and being convicted of new criminal offences while on bail Rainey's release has not been revoked. Questions are now being asked as to why he is still free to walk the streets, with the Ogle family seeking an urgent meeting with the Public Prosecution Service.
A legal source said: "There is scope to bring Glenn Rainey back before a judge and query why he is still on bail given his admission to these new crimes."
A series of tit-for-tat attacks on homes in the Pitt Park area of east Belfast, which included the targeting of an elderly relative of Rainey, was the catalyst for the UVF sending 40 men into the estate at the bottom of the Newtownards Road last week.
Detectives investigating the show of strength are understood to be in possession of CCTV which shows some of the crowd gathering at the door of a heavily pregnant woman.
She is a relative of loyalist Willie McCaughey, who was told by cops at the time that an attempt was to be made to put him out of the area.
The pair have since been forced to shelter in the Ballymac Community Centre for the past 11 days, along with three other locals who the PSNI have also told are at risk.
McCaughey runs the Pitt Park-based complex which hosts a loyalist museum, employment training schemes and delivers food parcels to the needy.
The UVF, who the families and PSNI have accused of being behind the threats, have stressed that no one in the community is in danger.
A senior loyalist source said: "There have been ongoing acts of intimidation by a number of agitators in Pitt Park. This has largely been low-level and the UVF allowed mediators to seek to address these issues.
"However, in recent weeks this has grown into more significant violent attacks on two family homes. This comes on the back of persistent aggravation and seeking to cause division in the local area.
"Residents approached loyalists and expressed concerns for their safety," added the source.
"In response to this loyalists went into the area in significant numbers as a show of solidarity with the residents in an effort to end attacks in the area.
"There is no threat to any property or individual." The East Belfast UVF and Willie McCaughey have been at loggerheads since he released a video last summer branding the gang drug dealers and loan sharks.
He also accused it of "torturing the Protestant people".
This led some to conclude that an internal feud within the gang is imminent, however well-placed sources deny this and insist there is no prospect of conflict.