Belfast Telegraph

Knife thug serving 20 years is Dorrian murder suspect

By Stephen Breen

An evil thug who was caged for 20 years for a savage knife attack that left his victim blind is a key suspect in the murder of Bangor woman Lisa Dorrian.

Sunday Life can reveal that Adam Smyth - jailed last Friday for attempting to kill Co Down man Marc Keller - was one of the last people to see Lisa alive.

Along with his drug-dealing brother Mark, Smyth (19) was quizzed by cops about the killing, but later released without charge.

Mark Smyth spoke exclusively to Sunday Life in 2006 and admitted driving Lisa (25) to a party, but denied any involvement in her killing.

Her heartbroken sister, Joanne, declined to comment on Adam Smyth's alleged role in Lisa's murder.

But speaking after Smyth was sentenced to prison, Marc Keller told how he believes his attacker was "capable" of murdering the Bangor woman.

Said Marc: "People have to realise that Smyth is a evil person who thrives on violence. It's no surprise to me that he has been linked to the murder of an innocent girl.

"I know only too well what he is capable of. He is full of hate and I can just see him attacking a girl for no reason.

"This man is scum and I'm just so relieved he's off the streets.

"Although he's going to jail for a very long time, I doubt he will ever show remorse for what he did to me and countless other people out there.

"He may not have been charged over Lisa Dorrian, but at least he is going to jail for a very long time and he won't be able to attack any other innocent person.

"God knows how many other innocent people he has attacked over the years. He has a brutal capacity for violence and I don't know how he's going to cope with prison.

"If he was involved in Lisa Dorrian's murder, then why doesn't he just do the right thing for once in his life and tell police what he knows because he won't be going anywhere for a very long time."

The knife-victim also welcomed the sentence given to his attacker.

Added Marc: "I couldn't be happier with the sentence. The judge told Smyth he would rue the day he did what he did and I'm delighted.

"It still doesn't seem to have sunk in with him what he did to me that night - he just doesn't seem to care.

"The sentence is the best Christmas present I have ever had. I'm determined to get on with things now so for me it's New Year, new life."

It's also understood Smyth could face fresh charges after he threatened a police officer minutes after he was sentenced to prison.

As he was being led from the dock of Belfast Crown Court, Smyth yelled to the officer: "I will see you some time soon and you won't be alive."

Marc, along with his brother, Anthony, and a pal, were enjoying a night out in Belfast in November 2005, when they were subjected to the brutal assault.

The Killyleagh man, who has had to re-learn how to walk, was stabbed in the heart and leg while his younger brother suffered a stab wound and had his teeth kicked in.

Smyth's accomplices, Alan Stewart and Philip Irwin, were also sent to prison for 14 and 12 years respectively for their roles in the barbaric assault.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph