Belfast Telegraph

Tragic drugs death: Top Belfast DJ dies in 'speckled Rolex' party drugs horror

By Sara Girvin

This is the west Belfast DJ and record producer who lost his life to deadly ‘speckled Rolex’ ecstasy pills.

Gerard Mulholland, a well-known figure on the Northern Ireland club scene, died after taking the killer yellow drug during a marathon two-day house party.

There were unconfirmed reports on Twitter last night that in a separate incident, another young man from Ardoyne in north Belfast had also died after taking similar pills.

Gerard — known to pals as Mul — hosted the party which began on Boxing Day at his flat in Twinbrook where friends also took the lethal £2 pills which cause the body to overheat.

Paramedics desperately tried to save the 42-year-old’s life pm Friday night but he died at the scene.

Four other men at the same house party were given emergency treatment before being hospitalised. They continue to receive treatment.

Shocked neighbours gathered as the ill party-goers received medical treatment.

Local Sinn Fein councillor Bill Groves, who arrived at the tragicscene in Thornhill Court, said it was chaotic and distressing.

“There was some confusion, the three ambulances arrived  and then the police.

“Then people started to come over and have a look, they were just worried and concerned because this is a close community where everybody knows everybody.”

Mr Mulholland’s tragic death sparked police to issue a stark warning about highly toxic death pills.

They have urged anyone who might have the drugs to safely dispose of them immediately.

It is thought the pills taken on Friday night were yellow and stamped with a Rolex logo, but they also come in green and other colours.

The pills get their name because of a crown logo stamped on them similar to that of the luxury watchmaker.

Neighbours say ‘Mul’ lived alone and kept three Doberman dogs.

The DJ’s sudden death has seen an outpouring of grief on Facebook from the clubbing community.

They describe him as a godfather of the nightclub scene in Northern Ireland who was always offering support and encouragement to young up and coming DJs.

Mr Mulholland played regularly in nightclubs across Northern Ireland and was part of the underground sessions team who DJ on global internet radio.

Earlier this year, he started his own record label called Dark Energy Records.

One grieving pal said he was a “genuinely lovely person who had time for everyone”, adding that he would “never be forgotten”.

Another posted: “You had such a passion for music which a lot of DJs are missing these days, always in a good mood and cracking jokes.”

One friend said the death was “a nightmare” he could not wake up from.

“Gerard was a true gentleman. Sleep well, the word is a little less shiny without you in it.

“I can’t believe you’re gone, you were one of the most nicest people you could ever meet.

“You always had time for everyone, such a kind man.”

Earlier this year, eight deaths here — seven in Belfast and one in Coleraine — were linked to the toxic ‘green Rolex’ pill.

Following those deaths, Detective Chief Superintendent Roy McComb, head of the PSNI’s Organised Crime Branch warned that taking any drug was playing “chemical Russian roulette” with your life.

He said police were concerned that pills laced with bulking agent PMMA, which causes the body to overheat, were circulating in Northern Ireland.

Yesterday, SDLP councillor Brian Heading said he is now making himself available to dispose of any ‘speckled Rolex’ pills in a bid to get the drugs off the streets.

“This tragic loss of life will be a devastating blow to his family and friends, particularly at this time off the year,” he said.

“It is clear that whoever may be supplying this drug has no regard whatsoever for human life.

“But we need to get the message out there that there is no such thing as a recreational drug.”

He urged anyone with speckled Rolex pills to hand them to him, local community workers or clergy so they could be passed on to police to be destroyed.

Sinn Fein councillor Charlene O’Hara, who lives nearby, said: “Our appeal at the minute is to get people to stop taking these drugs, to think about it, and either pass them on to be destroyed or destroy them themselves.

“Don’t leave them lying around, don’t be tempted to take them.

“There has been one life lost and four other people are still in hospital.”

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph