Belfast Telegraph

Athletics: Shock as Amy ran Foster than Anna

By Ruth Gorman

Amy Foster surprised even herself by beating sprint ace Anna Boyle to the 100 metres title at the Northern Ireland and Ulster Championships in Antrim yesterday.

The 18 year old - whose speciality is the 200 metres - completed the race in 11.85 seconds, which was a convincing 0.27 seconds ahead of Ballymena speedster Boyle.

Last year's winner Boyle was tired after a busy week at the Bislett Games in Oslo. She arrived home yesterday morning at 5am, however she was still expected to hold off the challenge of young Foster.

"I've just recovered from a hamstring injury so decided to pull out of the 200 metres and see how I got on in the shorter distance," explained Amy last night.

"I thought it would be good experience competing against Anna but I definitely didn't expect to win it!

"It was only my third race of the season and my first 100 metres since last July so I'm delighted with the win."

Boyle will be hoping to improve on her time of 12.12 seconds at next weekend's European Cup meeting in Finland, where she will compete for Ireland.

Also travelling to Vaasa will be Lisburn's Kelly Reid, who won the 800 metres in 2.08.59, and North Down shot putter Eva Massey - who will be representing Great Britain.

Massey, who has been suffering with a virus since breaking Mary Peter's 40 year old record a few weeks ago, retained the Northern Ireland title yesterday by throwing 16.02m.

"The conditions weren't great but I've improved on my distance from last year so I'm happy," she said.

"Now I have the next weekend to look forward to and I can't wait. I've been trying to get into the squad for the last few years so I'm delighted to have made it this time around."

An otherwise successful day was marred by the withdrawel of pole-vaulter Zoe Brown - who tore ligaments in her right foot while warming up.

The 23-year-old was planning to make her comeback at a major event for the first time since the Commonwealth Games in Melborne 14 months ago.

Instead she was rushed to hospital after a suspected broken ankle, however much to her relief X-rays revealed the injury wasn't as serious as first thought and she will now be out for four to six weeks.

Also absent from yesterday's action was Paul McKee due to a leg injury.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph