Sunday Life

| 11.2°C Belfast

Caoimhin Agyarko can’t wait to take next step as he relishes role on Michael Conlan’s undercard

Close

Caoimhin Agyarko en route to victory over Noe Larios jnr

Caoimhin Agyarko en route to victory over Noe Larios jnr

Caoimhin Agyarko celebrates with the WBA international title

Caoimhin Agyarko celebrates with the WBA international title

/

Caoimhin Agyarko en route to victory over Noe Larios jnr

Caoimhin Agyarko says he is ready to be part of a spectacular night for Irish boxing when he fights on the undercard of Michael Conlan’s WBA world featherweight title fight with champion Leigh Wood on March 12.

Unbeaten middleweight Agyarko has taken it as a compliment that he has yet to secure an opponent for his 10-rounder on the Nottingham undercard and insists that his team will only accept someone who will advance his career.

The 25-year-old, who last year signed with Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom outfit, won his first belt as a professional when picking up the WBA international title in impressive fashion with a ninth-round stoppage of Noe Larios jnr.

Agyarko is expecting a year that will see him soar towards European and world title contention and he revealed that Hearn and manager Paul Ready have plans for fights in June and October, which could be his first big moment to headline in Belfast. It all kicks off on March 12 on another big stage for the Belfast man.

“The atmosphere is going to be electric. The Irish are invading Nottingham on March 12 and I’m super excited to be a part of it. I know that a lot of people have bought tickets and without doubt it’s going to be the best atmosphere I’ve enjoyed so far,” said Agyarko.

“It’s great to get this exposure coming off the win in December and there’s no doubt that it raised my profile. I’ve been getting messages from Australia and New Zealand and a load of other places with people saying they’re following my career. It’s great to be back out on a show like this because it keeps the momentum going and I want to put on another big performance.

“It was unfortunate that the opponent we had lined up, two-time world champion Hassan N’Dam N’Jikam, fell through. He would have been ideal and the kind of big name I want on my record. But I think he just wanted more money than was on the table.

“For me and my team it’s all about the right fights at the right time and opponents who are going to benefit me, raise my profile and help me gain the experience that I need.

“I know the ability I have and any fighter I’ve been offered I’ve always said yes. I would fight anyone but I need to gain experience and I leave that with my team.

“This is going to be a very exciting year for me. Of course I want to have a big fight in Belfast but that has to be the right opponent so if it doesn’t happen this year, I know it will happen in 2023.”

While Agyarko was naturally very pleased with his win over Larios, he nevertheless admitted that he had plenty to work on.

“I was over the moon to win my first title after only 10 fights and it was a good way to kickstart my career with Matchroom. It was the second time I’d gone nine rounds and I showed that I carried my power into the late rounds,” added Agyarko.

“The main thing I’ve been working on since then is not loading up on my shots. It felt last time I was trying to impress too early, looking for the big shots. So, in all my pad work and sparring it’s about speed and accuracy because I know the power will come from that. On March 12 I want to show what I’ve been working on in the gym.”


Top Videos



Privacy