The Irish FA are considering offering an alternative to Kieran Lucid's All-Island League proposal - by expanding the Unite the Union Champions Cup.
Windsor Park chiefs have refused to sanction their clubs' participation in a Lucid-promoted All-Ireland tournament and instead want to pursue their own cross-border knockout competition with the Football Association of Ireland.
The inaugural Champions Cup, involving Linfield and Dundalk, took place over two legs last November and now the IFA are keen to see if the competition could be rolled out to four clubs and then possibly eight.
An Irish FA insider told Sunday Life Sport: "The expansion of the Champions Cup, from the outset of the competition, has always been on our agenda and we would be looking to hold discussions with the FAI to talk about this further."
The Covid-19 pandemic cut short the Danske Bank Premiership season, while the Airtricity Division - which restarts on Friday night - will be truncated with clubs playing a total of just 18 fixtures.
Finding a suitable date for this year's competition may prove problematic with schedules packed out and coronavirus restrictions still likely to be in place.
However, the Irish FA hope that in a year's time, the number of teams competing in the Champions Cup could be increased and a tournament played in a Setanta Sports Cup-style format could be devised.
The IFA's decision to block their members' involvement in any Lucid-inspired All-Island League has angered 10 senior clubs, who signed a letter demanding Northern Ireland football's governing body correspond with UEFA to request their view on the proposed venture.
IFA Chief Executive Patrick Nelson has received the letter but it hasn't been decided whether this matter will be put on the agenda and discussed at board level when they meet next month.
It has also been mooted around the corridors of power at Windsor Park that, following an absence of 35 years, it might be time to have tentative talks about the possibility of inviting Derry City back into the fold.
The Candystripes quit the Irish League in 1985 to join the League of Ireland following years of having to play away from the Brandywell for security reasons.
There had been soundings that Derry may be interested in returning due to the rising cost of travel expenses for away matches throughout the League of Ireland.
Northern Ireland Football League Vice-Chairman Gerard Lawlor is confident the Irish League family would gladly welcome Derry back and said: "I believe NIFL would look at any situation that enhances the League."
However, City official Sean Barrett told Sunday Life Sport they currently have no desire to return to the Irish League but would like to play Premiership clubs in a new All-Island set-up.
"The All-Island League is what we support and what we would like to play in," he stressed.