Sunday Life

| 7.2°C Belfast

Larne ‘back to what we’re good at’ to see off Warrenpoint Town at Inver Park

Larne 3-0 Warrenpoint Town


Albert Watson in full flight for Larne against Warrenpoint Town

Albert Watson in full flight for Larne against Warrenpoint Town

Albert Watson in full flight for Larne against Warrenpoint Town

The old cliche rang true at Inver Park yesterday — it really was a game of two halves.

In the first 45 minutes, Warrenpoint Town gave as good as they got against a Larne team who were looking for their first win in four matches.

After the break, though, the hosts ran out comfortable winners after scoring three times without reply.

Albert Watson broke the deadlock on 48 minutes and from that moment on Tiernan Lynch’s men didn’t look back as Davy McDaid and Ronan Hale netted to move Larne into fourth spot in the Premiership.

Lynch’s number one target from the day was a victory and he felt he got a performance to go with in the second-half.

“The order of the day was three points,” Lynch declared.

“If we could have added a good performance, that would have been the icing on the cake.

“For me, there were large spells where we played good football. We talked in our pre-match about how Warrenpoint would come and make things difficult for us.

“They’d try to slow things down and they did all of those things. We probably got a little bit frustrated at times and forced it a little bit in the first-half. The second-half, as soon as we scored, we settled and we got back to what we are good at.”

In the first period, Warrenpoint threatened early on when Cian Bolger’s misplaced pass presented the ball to Town inside the box, but home stopper Mike Argyrides was off his line to quickly deny Alan O’Sullivan.

Ex-Larne goalkeeper Conor Mitchell then kept his old side out on 17 minutes, saving well from Ben Doherty’s effort.

Hale also went close before Thomas Maguire’s deflected shot sailed just wide.

The deadlock was broken when Doherty’s corner from the right was headed home by veteran defender Watson.

It was 2-0 just six minutes later. Mark Randall found space in midfield and played a clever through ball to send McDaid clear of the defence and he slotted under Mitchell.

Gloss was added to the scoreline 20 minutes from time when Hale received the ball back from Tomas Cosgrove and fired low into the bottom corner.

Visiting boss Barry Gray felt his players gave their all, but he was less than impressed with referee Christopher Morrison.

“I can’t fault our boys,” he said. “We conceded the first goal at the worst possible time from our point of view and one which dictated what was going to happen in the rest of the half.

“I’m sick of refereeing decisions to be honest and there were some key ones which went against us again. Those decisions certainly change the complexion of the game when we’re playing teams like Larne.

“We know we’re not going to bounce from week to week and win every game, we get that.

“We had a very good win against Carrick and a very tight game against Ballymena in midweek. This game comes in a run of games against Carrick, Ballymena and Dungannon and the least important for us is the Larne one.

“That’s easy said after you get beat 3-0 but, in real terms, it’s true. It’s the least important one and our focus now has to be against Dungannon coming up on Tuesday.”

LARNE: Argyrides 7, Balmer 7, Kelly 7 (Jarvis, 85 mins, 6), Watson 8, Sule 7 (Mitchell, 85 mins, 6), Randall 8, Hale 8 (Lynch, 80 mins, 6), McDaid 8 (Lusty, 80 mins, 5), Doherty 7 (Nasseri, 80 mins, 6), Bolger 7, Cosgrove 8. Unused subs: Ferguson, Oluwa.

Warrenpoint: Mitchell 6, Deasy 6, Ball 6 (Moorhouse, 71 mins, 5), Peers 5 (Quinn, 85 mins, 5), Dillion 6, O’Sullivan 5 (Masteron, 85 mins, 5) Gallagher 7, Wade Slater 5, Maguire 5 (Shotayo, 87 mins, 5), Hutchinson 5 (Mullen, 71 mins, 5), Leddy 5. Unused subs: Coleman, McVeigh

Referee: Christopher Morrison 6

Top Videos