Recipe: Apple and cinnamon strudel
This perfect pastry pudding is packed with fruity goodness and delivers a cool cinnamon kick that the whole family will love — delicious served hot or cold.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Syns per serving: 188.8.131.52
681g/1 1/2lb cooking apples
1/2 level tsp cinnamon
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Fry Light, for spraying
4 x small sheets filo pastry
28g/1oz low-fat spread, melted
1 level tsp icing sugar, for dusting
Artifical sweetener, to taste
1. Peel and core the cooking apples and slice them thinly. Mix in a bowl with the sultanas, cinnamon and lemon zest. Sweeten to taste with artificial sweetener.
2. Spray a large baking sheet with Fry Light and place a sheet of filo pastry on top.
Brush very lightly with the low-fat spread and then cover with a second sheet. Repeat with remaining two sheets, brushing with more low-fat spread.
3. Spoon the apple filling onto the pastry lengthways, leaving the pastry uncovered at the edges. Now roll up from one long side into a cylinder, with the pastry join underneath. Pinch the ends of the cylinder to seal in the filling.
4. Brush with the remaining melted low-fat spread and then bake in a preheated oven at 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5 for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden brown.
5. Cool slightly before dusting with icing sugar and cutting into thin slices to serve.